I just watched 'Dixie Chicks: Shut Up & Sing.' There aren't a lot of people like me who watch movies and read books to learn about things to have opinions about. I think I have issues, haha, issues that are important to me, that is.Anyway, watching Natalie sing her songs and write music that is so meaningful to her is incredibly empowering and moving. I don't know if it's because they're women, or because they seem to be a miracle talent, but I don't feel the same kind of motivation I do from them as I do from watching the West Wing or reading books about African child soldiers.
It makes me want to channel all the anger, frustration and energy I have for so many different trivial things into real things. I'm definitely going to try and just be mad about important things now, obviously, I'm Emily Doerr, I'll waver and complain about stupid shit, but trust me, that anger will be from something bigger.
I keep saying I have these moments of feeling nauseous and then moments of excitement about leaving for Peace Corps, but my ambivalence does not have anything to do with my will to make a difference and I truly believe that Peace Corps is going to be a ENORMOUS opportunity for me to grow in a way that living comfortably will not. I know I'm going to write home about trivial things, but I also know that real problems will be vocalize to you, my lovely readers, about things that I want YOU to feel about in the way that I do.
Two goals have passed the halls (halls?) of this blog: 1. be emotional (like, cry if i feel like crying) 2. be passionate about important things not trivial wastes of time
Please watch 'Shut Up & Sing' and also 'Bobby' (that one made me cry and it really makes you glad we've made it through that time). Also, read A Long Way Gone: Memoir of A Boy Soldier. Words to do not describe how profound this book is.
Stay tuned for more advice. :)

No comments:
Post a Comment