Sunday, August 19, 2007

TIA

Before I begin I'm going to help you all out with a glossary of acronym terms:

TIA = This is Africa! (what do you expect?)
PCV = Peace Corps Volunteer
PCT = Peace Corps in Training
LCF = Language and Cultural Facilitator
Stage = PST
PST = Pre-service Training
PCMO = Peace Corps Medical Officer

1. Language
My language is improving fine, except we did an evaluation and I didn't do as well as I thought I would, but I'm relatively ahead of where I should be, so it's alright. I've been trying to coerce my LCF to be my permenent translator all for the sweet payment of dinner every night. I've really progressed in learning the words for dirty things. Here are some examples: Nbe i'negeda = I will satisfy your desire (it has a sexual connotation), nbe i'nenta = I take your tongue/I french you.
The most practice I get with my language is when I'm asking my ten year old host-sister what her boyfriend's name is and then she calls me a trouble-maker or a donkey. Mind you, this is about all I can do, and Wednesday I have to go to my site and be charismatic, do you think my host family will want to hear all the dirty words I've learned??
Last week I went out with my family to the fields to weed (bin bo) and I lasted about 45 minutes before I felt sunburned and EXHAUSTED. It was fun connecting with my host-family on that level. I've also tried a lot harder to spend time with them at night. My host-dad and his two brothers talk with me and help me with my grammar and speak slowly so I can understand them. They're really smart and patient and I am going to miss everyone so much. The hardest part about it is seeing their myriad of health problems and not being able to do anything. My littlest brother, Numuche, has malaria and he's my favorite, so it's kind of sad. He's five and also helps me with my language. The other day I was asking him questions and he kept saying yes, so I asked him if he was married and my LCF walked up right when I did it and said "Miriamu, tsk tsk, are you looking for a husband, already?"

2. FIGHT!
My two host-moms got into a screaming/yelling fight the other day right when I woke up. I sort of snuck out of my room to go to the nyegen and the fight continued. Obviously, I don't know what they were screaming about but I never heard my name. Another strange thing about Malian society is that there is a general acceptance of beating grown adults if they are your wives or really if they do something out of line. So, my host-dad was standing between the two women with a piece of rubber ready to whip one of them. After I ate I sprinted off to class and my LCF and I talked it out. Having never been around polygamy or in a family where the parents fight, I was definitely shocked and I was angry that anyone was yelling at my host-mom because she takes such good care of me, but basically it's a fact of life here and luckily they don't shut up when a guest comes in the room and they finish the argument.

3. Joking Cousins
In Mali everyone has certain people who they are allowed to make fun of. This goes way back to early times when the different ethnic groups wanted to be more peaceful. My last name is Bagoyoko and I can make fun of certain last names. The dialog isn't complicated, mostly you just say "You eat beans!" or "I can't understand you when you speak Donkey!" or "You are my slave!" and everyone laughs and you've made a new friend. It's a pretty cool thing b/c wherever I go in Mali I'll have joking cousins and it allows a little 'in' to a new friend or family!

4. SITE! I'll send out an email later that tells more about my site, I can't post on my blog about my whereabout due to Peace Corps regulations and personal safety, but email me if you want me to tell you about it! Needlesstosay, I'm REALLY EXCITED! My host-family at my site is the dugutigi (Chief) of the village and I'm about 1-2 hours from the big city. I have cell service and I'm getting a cell phone today!

5. Food in Mali
The food here is alright, I eat beans and onions and bread for lunch (my favorite, seriously) and pasta cooked in old for dinner. I was having some trouble with the To and Slime but my LCF worked it all out.

Let me know if you have questions, I'll try to respond to everyone, but it gets a little hard. I want you all to know that I miss you a lot and I CAN'T WAIT to show you all Mali when you come to visit me!

Also, once I leave for my site my last name will no longer be Bagoyoko, it will be Camara. Which is better, apparently, because my language teacher says so, also this is his last name.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I can be your joking cousin here in the united states when you return.
You eat beans!

hilarious.