Bonjour! Sava!
I am here! Yay! I honestly can't say that I'm an expert on anything Malian, but I will tell you about our most common topic of conversation. Mr. D = Diarrhea and Mr. C = Constipation. The bathroom (hole in the ground) is called a nyegen and when one goes to the nyegen they always bring the salidaga with them. The salidaga is actually a tea kettle filled with water that is supposed to be used instead of toilet paper. It is not advisable to use it, but we bring it with us anyway to appear to use it so Malians do not think we are dirty dirty. Smart us. Anyway, I've used the nyegen and I've grown fond of it, but I still prefer the American method.
It is quite hot here but it's not unbearable. I went running yesterday with my friend Katie and it wasn't too bad, just quite sweaty, but I'm drinking lots to avoid dehydration and a close relationship with Mr. D.
I can't wait for people to come visit, this place is just amazing.
If you are thinking of sending anything send luna bars (peanut butter flavored) and any other peanut butter things. If you send chocolate don't send it after March because that is the hot season and it will melt. This is not the hot season, it is 85 degrees F and it is not the hot season. Good lord.
We had our first Bambara lesson today:
i ni sogoma = good morning
i ka keene = how are you?
We leave for our homestays on Wednesday at which time email will be less frequent, but please please email me!
Sunday, July 22, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment