Sunday, February 11, 2007

hotel twilight zone...

My job is great, yes, except that I have to schlep my stuff around the state and stay in shady hotels. You might think that some hotels are just crappy and others are really really fancy, but as far as I'm concerned, all hotels have a level of creepiness. Most notably the staff. I worked at a hotel for all of four days, and I am familiar with the type of people who work in hotels. Creepy people.

Last night I dropped Mira off at her NEW HOUSE in Burien around 11:30 pm and drove up to my hotel in Lynnwood half an hour away. I called the hotel and I told them that I was running late and I wanted to make sure my reservation was there and whoever I talked to said it was there. "Emily? Yes, it is right here." Apparently that person is a liar. A LIAR! At just after midnight I arrived at the hotel to 45 high school students standing in the parking lot being hooligans and mocking my bright blue PT Cruiser. Assholes. When I walked into the lobby I was stopped by a locked door at which I had to call a number in order to get let in. The number was an extension to a 24 hour 800 number for the hotel who call the night "manager" to let me in. Unfortunately, those people have too much to do and did not call her, but she happened to walk by the front door and let me in. She had my paperwork and when I told her I wouldn't sign it because it had the wrong billing amount she said it was fine and took me up to my room. My room had an ENORMOUS food basket sitting on the table (with a note that said "welcome to the mainland, I hope you'll like staying with us. Love, Dad and Shery.") and the fridge was FULL of beer juice and pop (FULL of it, like you couldn't fit anything else in there). I was confused but I thought it was all brought to the wrong room and I was incredibly tired so I ignored it brought my stuff up and climbed in to bed. At 2:30 in the morning I was RUDELY awakened by the weird night manager again and THREE other people. The night manager, by the way, is this creepy little woman with one tooth and when she isn't talking breaths obnoxiously loud.

I didn't open the door because I was pissed and I didn't want to let them in I just wanted to go back to bed. So, the evil little night manager told me she let me into the wrong room and that this was ACTUALLY these people's room. Apparently these people had actually checked into the room already and left all this food stuff in there and the paperwork that I was supposed to sign but wouldn't had their name on it. I didn't even look that far down on the paper.

After a little bit of explanation and me talking to the woman whose room it actually was, we decided that the creepy breathing lady would get them a new room and i would help them carry their food up to their new room since they didn't have any of their belongings in here.

This morning when I talked to the real front desk clerk, she was certain I didn't have a room and insistent that she would charge me the full price for last night. I asked her who I would have made the reservation with and if it was possible to call them and work this out. She said "I can make reservations!" Congratulations, you dumbass, who made my reservation? We concluded that it MIGHT have been a manager on Friday, BUT, it was with a guy and I'm pretty sure it was over the 800 number.

I'm pretty pissed right now and more than creeped out by the little woman with one tooth who probably can't spell properly.

Now I'm going to work for an hour and then go copy music from Mira's computer. ARGH!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for writing this.